Friday, February 14, 2014

Australian Monarchists: The New Generation

I can't remember the last time a news article made me as happy as this one did. I could try to quote my favourite parts, but I'd end up practically reproducing the whole thing, though I will note that I'd have to plead guilty to being one of those monarchists who "collect memorabilia and have big portraits all over their walls." Well done to the young Australian royalists interviewed for the article, who vindicate much of what I've been saying about Monarchy and its appeal to the young since 1999, when the referendum in which they were too young to vote sustained the Australian constitution so that it might thrive in the current century. God Save the Queen of Australia!

1 comment:

Npinkpanther said...

I can relate to that article a lot, actually. I'm 19, an Australian monarchist, although I'm not a member of any monarchist group. My parents both voted in favour of the republic in the 1999 referendum. I "became" a monarchist when I first learnt about the republic-monarchy debate in Australia when I was 14 at school, but only later found out both my parents were pro-republic.

At the time it was a no-brainer for me: I supported keeping the monarchy because I valued Australia's (British) heritage, and our ties with Britain and the Commonwealth. I also thought having a queen was cooler than being a run-of-the-mill republic.

I'd say my generation is, on balance, more supportive of the monarchy than Gen X and the Baby Boomers. It's hard to pinpoint why, although I did write a blog post about it a while ago if you're interested: http://npinkpanthersmusings.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/why-arent-young-people-all-republicans.html