Friday, December 3, 2010

Castles and Childhood

Today at the mall I had to wonder if I had ever really "grown up," after wandering into a toy store, seeing the "Knights' Empire" Playmobil castle, and realizing that deep down I wanted it. Perhaps republicans are onto something (but not quite what they think) when they say monarchists need to "grow up," though that only proves how dismal their creed is. Children are natural monarchists; only adults who have lost any sense of childlike wonder could invent something as pedestrian as republicanism. To be a monarchist is to insist that there really is more truth in fairy tales than in the American Declaration of Independence. And that's nothing to be ashamed of.



[Update: About a month after writing this post, finding that I couldn't stop thinking about the castle, I finally gave in to my inner child and bought it. Above are a couple pictures, taken in January 2011 after I put it together. Note that this particular model is no longer available from Playmobil.]

No comments: