Monday, May 3, 2010

Crowe backs the Crown

The modern world probably pays too much attention to the [usually rather leftist and trendy] political views of entertainers in general, but since this is unlikely to change any time soon, it is refreshing when one gets it right. Actor Russell Crowe, promoting his upcoming movie Robin Hood, has expressed his support for the Australian monarchy and his admiration for the royal family, including the Queen's much-maligned sons Princes Charles and Andrew. I have enjoyed several of Mr Crowe's movies (especially Master and Commander, for which he conscientiously took violin lessons) and am glad that such a prominent actor is on our side. Mr Crowe has disclosed his monarchist views at least once before, in 2003 when he said, "I never thought I would say it, but I'm actually a monarchist and I think Elizabeth has done a bloody wonderful job. The family deserve more respect." Obviously he has overcome whatever reluctance he once had about saying so. Good for Russell Crowe, and God Save the Queen of Australia!

1 comment:

Viola said...

Thank you very much for this post, Theodore. I am very glad that Russell Crowe is on our side too!

I am an Australian, and I see no point whatever in becoming a republic. I also admire the royal family, and I think that becoming a republic would probably do us more harm than good. We are already legally independent and I think that we should retain our historical ties and remain as friendly with Great Britain as possible.